Response to COVID-19
EW Grobbel is proud to have served our customers, our community, and our employees for more than 135 years. In that time, we have faced a variety of challenges together – from World Wars to economic down turns to natural disasters. During all these times, we have remained committed to ensuring that we do what is best for our employees and those that we serve.
Today, we face a new challenge with the uncertainty of COVID-19 (Coronavirus). We recognize that this very real health emergency is having a tremendous impact on our citizens and our economy. During this time, we are committed to providing a stable food source for our community and customers.
We will continue to assess and respond to the crisis as it evolves, to adjust our operations to maintain continuity, and to support the safety and health of those impacted. In addition, we are operating in accordance with guidance from the CDC and local government. To ensure the health and well-being of our employees and community, we are taking additional precautions beyond our normal food safety procedures, which are also effective in virus-mitigation. Some additional measures that we have taken during this time:
- Providing all employees with face covering
- Temperature checking employees prior to every shift
- Screening employees for symptoms of COVID-19 prior to every shift. Any employee displaying symptoms is quarantined for a minimum of 10 days.
- Quarantining any employee that has been in close contact with COVID-19 for 14 days and ensuring symptom-free before returning.
- Increasing cleaning of frequent touch points in our facility
- Encouraging frequent and effective handwashing
- Training employees to practice safe distance and providing visual cues
Changing our attendance policy to ensure sick employees stay home
- Limiting visitors to only those essential to business operations
- Providing some optional at-home work options to employees
- Modifying our production lines to increase work-cell isolation
- Staggering start times and break times to reduce employee interactions
- Providing hazard pay for employees
We will continue to support our employees throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. However, we choose to view this time as an opportunity to get better not just for the present but for years to come. We are re-thinking and re-shaping our internal communications and meetings to be more effective, even though we are socially distanced. Our training programs have had a face lift and are transitioning to custom videos and new platforms that are more sustainable. The virus mitigation strategies we have implemented increase our GMP’s and will be effective during future flu seasons. Amid this global crisis, we choose to focus on what is positive and will continue to address this challenge as an opportunity to improve.